Today’s post continues the photo tour of Howlets, David Rabin’s and Heather Atwood’s 1911 Cape Ann stone house. These photos focus on the house’s enormous studio and kitchen, prior to any work being done on the house.

Howlets’ studio, the jewel in the crown

The studio has witnessed one hundred years of creative energy on the part of the previous owners, the Hale family. Since it was built in 1911, Ellen Day Hale, Lillian Wescott Hale, Phillip Everett Hale, Nancy Hale and her son Bill Wertenbaker have all painted, written and created in this stunner of a room. The ceiling is 28 feet high and has an exposed wooden beam ceiling and Rockport granite walls. The original huge wood arched North-facing window blew in during a storm some years ago and the glass brick replacement, although sturdy, looks out of place. The plan is to replace the window with an Anderson which will closely resemble the 1911 original.

Kitchen with quarry

The kitchen was expanded and modernized approximately ten years ago. A wall of glass provides an intimate view of the quarry, which lies just two steps from the back door. Ducks, frogs, turkeys and deer periodically move on and off stage as if in cameo roles in a play. Removing just the hanging glass cabinet will open the space and create a long view from the living room through to the quarry.

Click on any photo to enlarge.

Coming soon:  Craig Moore, plasterer, remembers working at Howlets.

Advertisements